Vegan Pizzoccheri alla Valtellinese
Vegan Pizzoccheri alla Valtellinese consists of a short and flat buckwheat pasta with plant-based cheese, potatoes and savoy cabbage.
It’s a really characteristic recipe from the Lombardy region. They look like short and dark tagliatelle.
In our vegan version, we swopped the dairy cheese and butter of the original recipe with plant-based ones.
This dish will satisfy your appetite and warm you up during cold days. 💗
Where to Buy Pizzoccheri
Pizzoccheri is a very characteristic kind of pasta but this doesn’t mean that you can’t find it outside Italy.
We suggest that you go to your best stocked local supermarket and ask for them. You can also look on the Internet if there is an Italian/international specialities shop in your area. Otherwise, you can simply buy them online.
How to Make Pizzoccheri from Scratch
If you don’t find pizzoccheri in your town or if you want to make a very fresh and special dish, you can make pizzoccheri at home!
You can follow this recipe for your homemade pizzoccheri, then you can come back here to follow our special vegan recipe.
Origin of Pizzoccheri
Pizzoccheri alla Valtellinese stands for “Valtellina Style Pizzoccheri”.
Valtellina is a geographic region in Lombardy (Northen Italy), it is a valley on the boarder with Switzerland.
In this area, the production of buckwheat has been continued for centuries. Its large diffusion strongly influenced the local cuisine.
In fact, Valtellina boasts other typical preparations with buckwheat – like sciàt, polenta taragna and chisciöi.
There is not a date or event for the start of this recipe. What we know is that, from the beginning of the IX century, wealthiest peasant families started to prepare recipes that were very similar to the one that we know today.
Pizzocheri alla Valtellinese
- cutting board
- casserole dish
- 250 g pizzoccheri (8.81 oz)
- 250 g potatoes (8.81 oz)
- 200 g savoy cabbage (7 oz)
- 180 g plant-based cheese (we used Jeezo Vegourmet Alpi) (6.35 oz)
- 60 g plant-based butter (2.12 oz)
- 50 g plant-based parmesan (1.76 oz)
- 2 garlic cloves
- First, put on some water to boil.Peel the potatoes and cut them into pieces.Wash the savoy cabbage and cut it into strips.
- When the water boils, add some salt and the potatoes.
- After 2 minutes, add the cabbage and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the pasta to the pot and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a pan with the garlic cloves (peeled) and let them brown for about 2 minutes.Remove the garlic cloves.
- When the pasta and the vegetables are ready, drain them.In the casserole dish, alternate layers of pasta and vegetables with layers of parmesan and cheese. Finish with a layer of parmesan and cheese. Then pour the garlicky butter over the entire surface.Serve warm.
Fridge: 3-4 days in Tupperware
Click here to have a look at all our pasta recipes.
Get in Touch!
If you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag @myitalianvegan on socials. We would love to see the result!
If you have any questions or feedback, don’t hesitate to leave a comment in the section below. We love hearing from you!